Jalapeños and cheese is a winner. Bacon and cheese is the ultimate.
Bacon, cheese AND jalapeños is end game.
I began by cooking my rashers of bacon for 15mins in an oven at 200°C. I then blitzed this up in a food processer to small pieces
For the scone dough I mixed the plain flour, bicarb, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
I then added my cold cubed butter and rubbed the cubes with my fingertips into the dry ingredients till it formed a coarse breadcrumb texture. Let me tell you this isn’t the best thing to do with a recently healed sprained wrist! My mum may have stepped in, because mums.
In a separate bowl I beat together the eggs and buttermilk till combined.
I also finely chopped some pickled jalapeños. You can use fresh jalapeños, but I feel the stuff in jars have more heat…and that’s how I like em! 😉
I added the bacon crumb, jalapeños and grated mature cheddar to my dry ingredients and mixed to distribute.
I then made a well in the centre and poured in the wet ingredients.
This came together as a sticky dough, so I turned it out onto a lightly floured surface and generously dusted the top with flour also.
I rolled out the dough to about 2cm thickness then cut out rounds with a floured cutter.
I placed the scones onto a lined baking tray, brushed the tops with beaten egg, then baked for 15 minutes at 200°C until risen and golden brown on top.
- 700g plain flour
- 2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2tbsp baking powder
- 2tsp salt
- 225g unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 280ml buttermilk
- 4 large eggs, plus 1 for egg wash
- 8 rashers of streaky bacon
- 100g pickled jalapeños, finely chopped
- 200g mature cheddar, grated
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Lay the rashers of bacon on a lined tray and cook in the oven for 15mins until crispy.
- Place the flour, bicarb, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Rub in the cold butter till you get a breadcrumb texture.
- Blitz up the bacon into a fine crumb. Add this, the chopped jalapeños and the grated cheddar to the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl beat together the eggs and buttermilk. Pour into the dry ingredients and bring together with your hands till just combined to a soft, slightly wet dough.
- Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and knead with floured hands for a couple minutes till smooth.
- Roll out to 2cm thick and cut out rounds with a cutter.
- Place on a lined baking tray and brush the tops with beaten egg.
- Bake for 15minutes until risen and golden brown on top.
One thought on “Bacon, Jalapeño & Cheddar Scones”