It’s World Gin Day!
So I made a G & T… with cucumbers! A super crisp and refreshing drink, perfect for summer!
I’d seen this recipe for cucumber juice on the Food Network aaaaaages ago, and I’d always wanted to try it… and there’s no better excuse than for a G& T. This recipe makes about 1L of cucumber juice, which is deliciously cooling on its own too!
I started by peeling the skins of the cucumbers, and grating the rest.
For each serving, I rimmed a glass with lime juice and sugar. Then I filled the glass with ice, 2 shots of gin (I had Gordon’s to hand, but Hendricks would be ideal as it’s infused with cucumber!), and topped with cucumber juice.
And what did I do with the strained cucumber pulp I hear you ask?!I added a squeeze of honey and a squeeze of lime and made a face mask. Why not eh?
- 2 cucumbers
- 170g sugar, extra to rim your glasses
- 500ml water
- 500ml tonic water
- 2 shots gin, per person (add more or less to your preference)
- wedge of lime
- plenty of ice cubes
- Peel the darker skin off the cucumbers and keep aside.
- Grate the rest of the cucumber.
- In a large saucepan, add the water, sugar and heat till the sugar dissolves it starts to bubble.
- Add half of the grated cucumber and continue to boil for a few minutes. Take off the heat.
- Into a blender/food processor, add the cucumber skins and the other half of the grated cucumber and blend to a pulp.
- Add the cucumber syrup and mix throughly. Leave this to cool completely in the fridge.
- Once cooled, strain through a muslin cloth/cheesecloth or through a sieve.
- Add the tonic water.
- For each serving, rim a glass with lime juice and dip in the extra sugar. Fill the glass with ice cubes, the gin, and top with the cucumber juice and serve.