It’s World Gin Day!
So I made a G & T… with cucumbers! A super crisp and refreshing drink, perfect for summer!
I’d seen this recipe for cucumber juice on the Food Network aaaaaages ago, and I’d always wanted to try it… and there’s no better excuse than for a G& T. This recipe makes about 1L of cucumber juice, which is deliciously cooling on its own too!
I started by peeling the skins of the cucumbers, and grating the rest.
I then dissolved the sugar in the water, then added half the grated cucumber and left to boil for a few minutes.
In a blender, I whizzed up the cucumber skins, remaining grated cucumber, and the cucumber syrup. Then left this to chill completely in the fridge.
Once chilled, I strained the liquid in a muslin cloth, then added the tonic water.
For each serving, I rimmed a glass with lime juice and sugar. Then I filled the glass with ice, 2 shots of gin (I had Gordon’s to hand, but Hendricks would be ideal as it’s infused with cucumber!), and topped with cucumber juice.
And what did I do with the strained cucumber pulp I hear you ask?!I added a squeeze of honey and a squeeze of lime and made a face mask. Why not eh?
- 2 cucumbers
- 170g sugar, extra to rim your glasses
- 500ml water
- 500ml tonic water
- 2 shots gin, per person (add more or less to your preference)
- wedge of lime
- plenty of ice cubes
- Peel the darker skin off the cucumbers and keep aside.
- Grate the rest of the cucumber.
- In a large saucepan, add the water, sugar and heat till the sugar dissolves it starts to bubble.
- Add half of the grated cucumber and continue to boil for a few minutes. Take off the heat.
- Into a blender/food processor, add the cucumber skins and the other half of the grated cucumber and blend to a pulp.
- Add the cucumber syrup and mix throughly. Leave this to cool completely in the fridge.
- Once cooled, strain through a muslin cloth/cheesecloth or through a sieve.
- Add the tonic water.
- For each serving, rim a glass with lime juice and dip in the extra sugar. Fill the glass with ice cubes, the gin, and top with the cucumber juice and serve.
3 thoughts on “Cucumber G & T”
I saw your blog and thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite you to our new culinary website which has just started.
This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from your food blog. It’s a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.
For more please visit:
TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called “Mikser Kulinarny”, founded in Poland. “Mikser Kulinarny” has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.
In case of any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.
Oh man, this looks amazing! Cucumber is definitely my favorite flavor in cocktails. It makes it so much more refreshing. I’m a little intimidated by how many big steps are in this, just because it’d be time consuming, but it looks like it paid off! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Thanks! I love cucumber in drinks too! Perfect for summer! I do admit boiling the cucumber is a bit long winded, but it’s awesome having cucumber syrup on hand ;). Though, of course you could just blend the cucumber and use that… since it’s so watery anyways! 😀